Law Office of Kevin J. Reeves, Esq.
Attorney & Counsellor at Law
"Helping Good People Through Bad Times"
New York Attorney with a practice concentrating in:
Providing legal representation throughout Dutchess, Putnam and Westchester Counties
- TRAFFIC & MOVING VIOLATIONS POINTS IMPOSED ON LICENSE
Speeding- not reasonable and prudent under conditions 3 POINTS
Speeding- based upon m.p.h. over posted limit.
(NOTE: a single speed of 40 mph over the speed limit imposes 11 points on your license, which may result in the suspension of your license)
- Reckless Driving (6 mos. Suspension) 5 POINTS
- Failing to Stop for School Bus 5 POINTS
- Following Too Closely (tailgating) 4 POINTS
- Inadequate Brakes 4 POINTS
- Failing to Yield Right of Way 3 POINTS
- Disobeying Traffic Control (Signal, Stop sign or Yield Sign) 3 POINTS
- Railroad Crossing Violation 3 POINTS
- Improper Passing or Lane Use 3 POINTS
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident Involving Property Damage 3 POINTS
- Leaving the scene of a accident with personal injury
Failing to wear seat belt – Adult 0 POINTS
(NOTE: Although an adult seatbelt is a no point offense, it is reported on your driver abstract. It is considered a moving violation while on a probationary, conditional (alcohol) or restricted (points/speeds) license and you can lose your driving privileges in New York State.)
Failing to properly restrain child 3 POINTS
(NOTE: NYS law requires that a child under age 4 be restrained in an approved child seat, a child between age 4 and 7 must be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system, a child under 16 must be restrained by a safety belt).
Cell Phone or Texting violations (as of 2/16/11) 2 POINTS.
Any other Moving Violation 2 POINTS.
New York Vehicle & Traffic Law Section 1201(a) Parking on the pavement- 0 points and no surcharge.
Points Imposed by the Department of Motor Vehicles for Traffic Violations