Law Office of Kevin J. Reeves, Esq.
Attorney and Counsellor at Law
​Law Office of Kevin J. Reeves, Esq. ® 2345 Route 52 Suite 2-O, Hopewell Junction, NY 12533-3218
Call 845-200-3530 or 845 494-5188
 for more info:
Contact Us
DWI Defense 
Being arrested for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) is a very serious matter.  You should only retain an attorney who is well versed in this area of law.  
Your attorney should be familiar with each and every breath testing device.
Your attorney should have copies of the training manuals.
Your Attorney should know the science  and the math applicable to breath testing.
Your attorney should know the penalties associated with any DWI disposition.
Your attorney must have experience in conducting hearings related to DWI cases.
Your attorney should know how to administer, score and evaluate the Standardized Sobriety Testing.
If they cannot demonstrate a working knowledge of the above,  they may not be the right attorney to handle your case.
Trained in:
DWI detection
Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST)
Breath Test Operation and Administration.
Certified Breath Test technician.
Certified New York State Master Instructor

What about Conditional Licenses:

The DMV can issue a conditional license to a qualified driver whose NYS license has been suspended or revoked because of an alcohol or drug-related violation. The driver must attend a Impaired Driver Program (IDP) (previously known as Drinking Driving Program (DDP)) approved by the DMV.

The Conditional license permits you among other things, to drive to and from work and during working hours if required for your job, to and from day care for your children, to and from credit bearing scholastic activities, and to and from medical treatment Under a conditional license you are allowed to select any 3 hours out of the week for your own personal use. 
If you receive a conditional license, it is valid to drive only:
to and from your place of employment
during the hours of employment if your job requires you to drive a motor vehicle
to and from a Motor Vehicle office to transact business regarding the conditional license or Impaired Driver Program (IDP) (previously known as Drinking Driving Program (DDP))
to and from a class or activity that is an authorized part of the IDP
to and from a class or course at an accredited school, college or university, or at a state-approved institution of vocational or technical training in which you are enrolled - a conditional license/driving privilege CANNOT be used to drive to and from a high school
to and from probation activities ordered by the court
during an assigned period of three consecutive hours between 5 am and 9 pm once a week - the assigned period will not be changed unless this privilege is amended
to and from a medical appointment that is part of necessary treatment for you or a member of your household - you must carry a written statement from your licensed medical practitioner as evidence, and show it to any police officer who asks to see it
to and from a child’s school/day care if the child’s attendance at the school/day care is necessary for you to maintain employment or enrollment to an accredited school, college or university, or at a state-approved institution of vocational or technical training
You can ask to include a clause "to and from job interview" It is not listed as a condition but they may add it.

Conditional license revocation: Your conditional license will be revoked if you are convicted of violating any conditions listed in “Where and When You May Drive” or of any moving violation, including those concerning cell phones, seat belts, or child safety seats or systems.

If you are admitted into the DDP, you will not be permitted to operate a motor vehicle under the conditional license in another state, unless that state permits such operation.
The Drinking Driver Program is part of New York State's effort to reduce the personal and property losses caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
The DDP helps the participants examine the arrest experience and the reason for their arrest. It also helps them learn to make appropriate driving decisions for the future. During the DDP introductory session, participants are asked to consider the reasons and goals of the program, and its requirements for completion. Under the guidance of the director and staff, participants discuss the social, medical, legal, and driver safety problems caused by alcohol and other drug abuse. The program includes classroom education, screening, and if warranted evaluation and treatment.

CLASSROOM PHASE: As a DDP participant, you must attend all seven weekly classroom sessions. Each session takes 2 to 3 hours, for 16 hours total. When you satisfactorily complete the classroom sessions, your involvement in the DDP will end, UNLESS the program refers you for formal evaluation, and any resulting treatment.

SCREENING AND REFERRAL: Some DDP participants are referred from the classroom phase for formal substance abuse evaluation. Referral can result from:

the results of a written self-inventory.

two or more alcohol or drug-related driving convictions within 10 years.

an arrest for an alcohol or drug-related driving violation while enrolled in the DDP.

attending class under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

a request by the student for help with a substance abuse problem, or an admission that the student is currently in treatment.

If you are referred for evaluation, you may choose a provider from a list supplied by the DDP. If you are not satisfied with the results of the evaluation, you may contact the DDP director and request a second evaluation. However, you must accept the findings of the second evaluation.

After evaluation, you may be required to complete a formal substance abuse treatment program. If you fail to complete required evaluation or treatment, you will be dropped from the DDP and your conditional license will be revoked.

COMPLETION: You will receive a "Notice of Completion" (MV-2026) when you have completed all the requirements of the Drinking Driver Program. A copy of your completion notice will be sent to the DMV. Depending on your license status and driving record, your license will be restored or you will be eligible to apply for a new license. You may not be allowed to apply right away if:

your conditional license is under revocation.
you were under 21 when the alcohol or drug-related driving violation occurred.
you refused an alcohol or drug test on the date of the violation.
you committed the alcohol or drug-related violation while operating a commercial motor vehicle.

DROPS, RE-SENTENCING, RE-ENTRY: You will be dropped from the DDP and lose your conditional license if you:

do not attend class, any required evaluation, or treatment; or,
do not otherwise satisfactorily participate in the program; or
do not pay the program fees.
When you enroll in the Drinking Driver Program, you must pay the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) a non-refundable fee of $75. Other fees also may be required in certain cases. Checks or money orders must be made payable to the "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles."

After enrollment, you also must pay a fee directly to the agency that will conduct your DDP classes. The maximum DDP enrollment fee is $225, payable to the program you attend. Motor vehicle staff will tell you the exact fee and who to pay. Payment is expected when you attend the first class. There will be additional fees if you transfer to another DDP or apply to re-enter a program you have been dropped from.

Because your original license had been revoked, you must:

complete the DDP;
bring your DDP "Notice of Completion" (MV-2026) and conditional license to the state or county motor vehicle office that issued the license;
meet all DMV requirements and criteria for re-licensing;
and, pay any required license fees such as for license renewal, or for any required skills tests for Commercial Driver Licenses.
If your driver license is revoked, you must apply directly to the DIAU for a new license, and pay a non-refundable re-application fee of $50 and any other license fees. Your application cannot be approved before the minimum revocation period is served, but the DMV will accept it for review up to 45 days before the revocation ends. If you are placed on probation, you must present written permission (also called, "probation clearance") from the sentencing court or your probation officer.
You must submit a completed "Application for Driver License" (MV-44), available from the DMV Internet Office, a DMV Call Center, or any motor vehicle office. Payment must be by check or money order only, payable to the "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles." Mail your application and payment to:

Driver Improvement Adjudication Unit
Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Phone: (518) 474-0774

The DMV will review your driving record and notify you by mail whether your application is approved or denied. If approved, you must bring it to a state or county motor vehicle office for processing. You may be required to pass qualifying tests. After your license is issued, you must serve a six-month probationary period.

Can You Travel to Canada with a DWI?
One of the most common impaired driving offenses in the United States, DWI stands for driving while intoxicated or driving while impaired. Many people consider driving while intoxicated (DWI) and driving under the influence (DUI) to be the same offense, and think the only difference is the actual acronym used. While this is sometimes the case in states that only use one term or the other, such as Texas where drunk drivers are always charged with a DWI not a DUI, in jurisdictions that classify them separately, DWI is often the more serious crime as it denotes a higher degree of impairment. Any resident or citizen of the United States that has a DWI conviction on their criminal record may be deemed criminally inadmissible to cross the border into Canada unless he or she has been issued special governmental permission. Attempting to enter Canada with a DWI may result in a denial of entry if you do not have this permission on your person.

The Canadian border has full access to the FBI criminal database and local DMV databases, so any conviction for driving while intoxicated or driving while impaired will always be available to them. Since there is no presumption of innocence for the purpose of Canadian immigration, you can become ineligible to travel to Canada as soon as you are arrested for DWI even though you have not yet been convicted. There are two ways to get government approval for DWI entry into Canada; a Temporary Resident Permit and Criminal Rehabilitation.

A Canada Temporary Resident Permit or TRP can allow a person who has been convicted of driving while intoxicated to overcome their criminal inadmissibility and enter Canada for an established period of time provided they have a valid reason for travel. Canada TRPs can be issued for up to three years, and a multiple entry TRP can permit a person to enter and exit the country several times during this time span. Criminal Rehabilitation is a permanent solution that can allow a traveler to visit Canada with a DWI for the rest of their life, but can take a long time to obtain and eligibility requirements include having completed your full sentence at least five years prior.